Dear Johan – you’ve got me worried now!

Is it coincidence that Julian’s anchorhold was at the church of St Julian (St Edward and St Julian in the Middle Ages) – or have we always assumed that was the church she was attached to because of the coincidence of names?  As has been pointed out, the church was nearly destroyed in the second world war, and I believe it was in the rebuilding of it that an anchorhold was rebuilt as a shrine, but tradition associated her with the church before that, and I think there was evidence of an anchorhold.  Looking at Watson & Jenkins’ new edition of her writings, the evidence of her existence apart from her writing includes the will of John Plumpton, a Norfolk merchant, tho gave forty pence in 1414 to ‘le ankeres in ecclesia sancti Juliani de Conesford in Norwice’ – the church of St Julian’s is in the Conisford area of Norwich.

Cate (named after Catherine of Alexandria)

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of JOHAN BERGSTROM-ALLEN
Sent: 18 January 2008 15:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Julian of Norwich

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Dr. Eddie Jones of Exeter University has recently written a fascinating article in which he debunks the widely-accepted view that anchorites took the name of the church they were attached to (when not attached to some other building).

He suggests that Julian was in fact Julian of Norwich's real name, and concludes the article by asking "I wonder how much the resonances change when 'the Lady Julian of Norwich' becomes plain Conisford Jill".

The article is due for publication in Mystics Quarterly (www.mysticsquarterly.com). If Eddie grants permission I can forward it to members off-list; just drop me a request.

I was allowed to see an advance copy because a proposal I made in my Masters thesis - that an anchorite in York given the baptismal name Isobel adopted the enclosure name Margaret from her anchorhold site - is apparently the only example Eddie has found of an anchorite changing name.

Best wishes,

Johan Bergström-Allen (Jo of Heslington!)

-------

Mr. Johan Bergström-Allen

44 Alne Terrace, York, YO10 5AW, United Kingdom

Home ( + 44 (0)1904 629964 Mobile ( + 44 (0)7939  037601

E-mail: [log in to unmask]