dkline wrote:
>It is quite fashionable these days in the US to give girls first names that
>commonly used to be boys names, like Sidney/Sydney (on one end of the scale)
>to Forest (on the other). I've had Logans, Alexs, Camerons, Hunters, Evans,
>Jacksons, Seans, Adrians, Jadens, Johnnies/Johnnys, and many others, of both
>genders.

That's a trend that's been going on for quite a long time. And quite a few of these names were originally surnames and then became male given names before migrating to the female side. Madison, Michael, Mackenzie, Jordan, Taylor, Bailey, and London can be added to the list of modern examples. Madison is among the most popular girls' names at the moment -- ironically, since like a few others you can still discern the "-son" ending. In living memory, Ashley, Stacy, Tracy, Dana, Kelly, Leslie, and Marion have also changed gender. So has Robin, but only in the US I think. (I think I remember hearing it's still a male name in the UK.)

Sadly (?!) it seldom goes the other way. As one onomasticist of my acquaintance says, "Once a name acquires 'girl cooties', it stops being used as a male name rather quickly." About the only exception I can think of at the moment is Douglass (which was female in the 16th century).

I actually recommend said onomasticist's book _Baby Names for Dummies_ by "Margaret Rose" (a pen name) as an interesting source of information on name trends. (Behind the pen name is Dr. Heather Rose Jones.)

0  Chris Laning
+  Davis, California
http://paternoster-row.org  -  http://paternosters.blogspot.com

to: [log in to unmask]