Not to put too fine a point on it, but if I'm remembering corredctly,
Bill actually liked
the angle brackets for URLs because in earlier versions of word (all
the way back to Word
2.0) you *needed* to put the URL angle brackets to activate the
hyperlink. Way back then, I
remember my students apologizing for the lines underneath the URLs in
their bibliographies
back in the mid-1990s. Now don't get me started on Bill hisself and
his company...

Now Word automatically recognizes web addys in a variety of forms and
activates them
automatically unless you tell Word otherwise.

The MLA has indeed adopted angle brackets as a standard though the APA
(American
Psychological Association), which is used more widely in US colleges
and universities,
*does not* use any brackets whatsoever, and their citation form for
websites looks
downright goofy.

dkline

Daniel T. Kline, Ph.D.