I am currently slogging my way through the 11 volumes of Blomefield's early 18th-century
topographical history of Norfolk, and have just been through volumes 3 and 4 on Norwich.  I
looked up Julian of Norwich, who is certainly mentioned, as is her hermitage in the
churchyard of St Julian and several later anchoresses, but there was nothing very useful
about her name.  What struck me, however, was the large number of anchoresses and
anchorites in Norwich.  St Julian's was far from being the only church to have one.  Norwich
must have been crawling with them in the 15th century!
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]