  From: Martin Allinson
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 11:43 AM
  Subject: Re: learning and coping with getting older as we learn

  Hi, Angela, Patsy, Graham,

  Thinking about Angela's: "We cope by changing the way that we interact with our environment" and Graham's: "The kids solve the problem collectively", I realised that I have been coping by getting my problems solved collectively by this new thing in my environment: the Internet.

  I now live in a little village in rural SE Asia, where nobody speaks more than rudimentary English and I don't speak the local language. So problems have to wait till I go down to the University later in the week, or (more often) they have to be spelled out on one of the forums that I 'inhabit'. Sometimes the very act of getting the problem into words when preparing my message of appeal for help for posting, and doing the Googling-de-politesse, reveals the answer to me. But, if not, other forum members always come to the rescue.

  I share Patsy's preference for reading on paper, and will often print out a document, rather than read it on the screen. It is not just the tactile reassurance that, in having something to hold, has put me in "I am in familiar territory, in which I have control", but also it can have notes scribbled on it, bits can be highlighted , and it is possible to look back in it to compare one bit with something previous.

  Back in the pre-2001 days when I was computer-resistive (hating little green flickering screens) I remember reading a spoof about a new information-presentation system called "The Bound Organisation of Knowledge"---whose acronym turned out to be BOOK. Colour and internet interaction have won me over, but the new adds to the old and doesn't supersede it.