Apologies for Cross Posting

The following courses will take place in March 2008 as part of the NoWAL General
Programme of Training. For further information see
http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php

The NoWAL programme of staff training and development offers extensive opportunities for
professional and personal development.  The main aim of the programme is to support and
develop the abilities required of library and related staff to deliver existing and future
services to users.

07/03/2008
Archives and the Archives Hub - NEW for 2008
10.30-12.30
MMU, All Saints Lecture Theatre, All Saints Library, Manchester
Tutors Lisa Jeskins & Jane Stevenson
http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php?action=view&sql_id=21

Aim
This course provides a basic introduction to what archives are, how to find and use
archival sources and how to use the Archives Hub to locate relevant archives for
research.

Objectives
By the end of the session participants will be able to:

Demonstrate an understanding of what archives are
Explain how archives are organised and described
Appreciate the value of archives for research
Search for archives from a range of sources
Use the Archives Hub to locate primary source material for researchers

Who Should Attend?
This is a basic introductory course aimed at staff working in libraries and information
services who would like to increase their understanding of archives and be able support
researchers in locating primary source materials.

Prices
NoWAL Members: £5
External Delegates: £15

Book a place on this course
http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php?action=view&sql_id=21
12/03/2008
Dealing with difficult situations
10:00 - 13:00
Lancaster University - Room B17, The Library, Lancaster
Tutor: Rachel Beckett
http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php?action=view&sql_id=20

Aim:
To provide participants with effective strategies for dealing with difficult situations
in libraries

Objectives:
By the end of the session participants will be able to:

Identify factors which cause difficult behaviour
Outline conflict management styles
Describe a range of strategies for dealing assertively with difficult situations
Who Should Attend?
All staff who deal with customers in a front line capacity.

You will need to have attended the Customer Service Skills course in order to book a
place at this event.

Comments from previous attendees"Interesting dissection of what causes difficult
behaviour."

"Course was very well presented and helped me think about developing assertive behaviour
in order to deal with a range of situations."

"Very informative as library orientated and delivered by a trainer working within a
library environment."

Prices
NoWAL members - £37.50
Externals - £50

Book a place on this course
http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php?action=view&sql_id=20
19/03/2008
Stepping out of the comfort zone: for staff who need support in career/life planning
13:30 - 16:30
University of Central Lancashire - Room 103, UCLan Site Library, Preston
Facilitator Deborah Dalley
http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php?action=view&sql_id=14

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?"
Robert Schuller

This seminar is aimed at staff who have reached a point in their careers where they have
achieved many of the things they originally set out to. The challenge is now to look at
what to do next. For some people this might mean aspiring to a role they have not
previously considered, for others it might mean staying where are but putting measures in
place to ensure that they continue to learn and grow in their role. Alternatively it might
be time for a complete rethink involving a change in direction or focus.

The session is a small facilitated discussion session for staff in the above position
based around the following 4 questions.

* What is my vision for the perfect life?
* What motivates me to work?
* How closely does my current life match the vision and what am I doing  to realise it?
* What do I need to do next?

At the end of the session the attendees should be in a position to start formulating
answers to these questions. There are no set outcomes as to what staff will take away from
this session as it will be personal to each attendee.

Comments from previous attendees
"I thought it was really useful and thought-provoking on a number of levels."

"... it was good to be with people who were in a similar situation - all wondering what
we're doing and where we're going!"

"I found the exercises really useful to help clarify my thinking. It was obvious that
most of the things I want in life are pretty much attainable with some adjustments to my
lifestyle."

Prices
NoWAL Members: £55
External Delegates: £75

Book a place on this seminar*
http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php?action=view&sql_id=14

*Maximum number of attendees: 8 (Only 1 delegate per institution will be accepted, if
more than one delegate from an institution books on the session then they will be held on
a reserve list and contacted if further sessions take place)
To see the full programme for Spring/Summer 2008 go to
http://www.nowal.ac.uk/general_programme.php

Booking information is available at
http://www.nowal.ac.uk/training_and_development.php?page_id=3

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Gil Young
NoWAL Support Officer

NoWAL: Widening access to library resources and improving learning and information
support services through innovation, influence and partnership.

Minshull House
47-49 Chorlton Street
Manchester
M1 3FY

0161 247 6021

"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester
Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "