From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Liz Chapman
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 2:31 PM
Subject: Reading Group support in public libraries

** apologies for cross-posting**

Dear all,
I'm interested in finding out what provision is made in other authorities for reading groups.  Currently we offer very little support to reading groups and it is something I would like to change, but concern has been raised about the pressure that it would put on the budget as we are quite a small authority, so I thought I'd do some research via these lists.  I will collate responses for the list(s), so feel free to reply off-list.

I'm particularly interested in the following:

- Do you support reading groups?
- What level of support do you provide? i.e. space in libraries, provision of the books/other materials, member of staff to lead the reading group...
- Do you take any particular steps to ensure that appropriate materials are available, i.e. sets of books kept particularly for reading groups
- If so, has this led to budgetary pressures, and if not, have you had a problem with popular materials not being available when requested?
- What size/type of authority are you?  (I will keep authorities anonymous if requested to do so, but would still be useful to know whether you are e.g. a small London borough or a large county authority).

any other comments you have well be most gratefully received!

Thanks,
Liz

Team Librarian
Ordnance Road Library
London Borough of Enfield

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and are

not necessarily those of the London Borough of Enfield. This email and

any attachments or files transmitted with it are strictly confidential and

intended solely for the named addressee. It may contain privileged and

confidential information and if you are not the intended recipient you

must not copy, distribute or use the communication in any other way.

If you receive this email in error please contact the sender as soon as

possible and delete the email and any attachments.