** Apologies for cross-posting **

A reminder about this great opportunity for students!

UK Serials Group Annual Conference 2008 and Exhibition - Invitation to
Students

The UK Serials Group is universally recognised as the leading forum for
debate between publishers, information professionals and intermediaries in
the world of electronic and printed serials and the process of scholarly
communication.  With over 500 institutional members it is a sizeable
organisation in every respect.

The Annual Conference and Exhibition is the centrepiece of the Group's
activities, taking place this year at the Riviera International Conference
Centre in Torquay from 7-9 April.  In my capacity as Education Officer for
the Group I am writing to inform you that we are offering up to six free
places for students at the 2008 Conference.  Those selected to attend will
benefit from:

Ø       Learning about some of the newest developments in electronic
publishing by attending plenary sessions, breakout sessions and product
reviews

Ø       Seeing at first hand some of the latest commercial products and
services available to information professionals

Ø       Mixing with many of the leading publishers, librarians and
intermediaries in the area of scholarly publishing

Ø       Participating in social events such as the Conference Dinner, discos
and the quiz.

The sponsorship award covers the cost of attendance at the conference,
including all meals, entertainment and accommodation.  Please note that all
students, whether studying full time or part time as undergraduates or
postgraduates, are eligible to apply, and the invitation is aimed to all
courses related to areas associated with UKSG interests – librarianship,
publishing, media and communications.

To be considered, students should write a letter of application including a
summary of why they would like to attend.  This letter should be
countersigned by a tutor and posted to me at the address below by Friday 8
February 2008.  In return for the sponsorship, students are required to
submit a critical appraisal of the conference.  The best reports will be
considered for publication in the UKSG online journal, ‘Serials’.  Travel
expenses to and from the conference will also be repaid on presentation of
the report.

The students attending over the last few years have, without exception,
found the experience both valuable and enjoyable.  To see the conference
programme and other details of the event please go to HYPERLINK
"http://www.uksg.org/events/conference08"http://www.uksg.org/events/conferen
ce08 .  I hope you will be able to encourage your students to take advantage
of this opportunity.

For any enquiries please contact Alison Whitehorn, UKSG Business Manager
HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]

Yours sincerely

Graham Stone

UKSG Education Officer

UK Serials Group