Hi Kirsty,
Thanks for asking.  We get most of ours IN wrappers, but would prefer
them out of them for the environmental reason you mention. Also, from
what I have seen, if damage is going to occur, it is just as likely with
a plastic wrapper as without. We are a small library (just over 300
subs) and we only get three or four issues a year that arrive in mangled
condition. (We are just as likely to get an empty wrapper with a few
chopped pages in it with an apology from the U.S. Mail as we are to get
one like that without a wrapper.)

I have to keep track of the postage labels, so if we get duplicates, I
can contact our vendor with a copy of the label so we can get all our
issues. It would be MUCH easier if these labels were on the issue
themselves in all cases!

I am sure you will get much mail from other librarians who like the
shrink wrap plastic, but I can certainly do without.

Thanks again for asking.

Karen Bolton
Serials Librarian

Milwaukee School of Engineering