Hiya Folks,

The National Research Council here in Canada, which I work for, issues its own license to publish. While publishers prefer to use their own licenses, NRC is resolute that it will not use alternative licenses, and as a national reserach organization, has the clout to make it stick. Consequently, all journals use our licenses to publish (with some, such as the IEEE journals, using slightly amended versions).

Thus, using your own license to publish is not a 'non-starter'.

This system isn't perfect and I have lost some publications (including one with OECD) because of our agency's stance. That said, I support the stance, because it reserves copyright in these articles to the Government of Canada, and does not vest it to publishers. They don't need to own copyright in order to publish, and there's no reason to give it to them.

I have attached a typical NRC license to publish to this email.

-- Stephen

Clare Allan wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Fred,

Thanks for this it's very interesting.

The last time I pointed out the Licence to Publish to one of our academic staff (Professor in Computing Science) this is the response I got:

"It's a new one on me, but frankly a non-starter. All journals, conferences and publishers I deal with have their own copyright agreements that they won't budge on."

Given this sort of response, what would be really useful are the names of publishers that are known to be "friendly" towards either the author using the Licence to Publish, or if asked, to use their own that retains the same author's rights.

Do you have specific examples of publishers known to respond positively?

Perhaps a list of friendly publishers could be created on the Licence to Publish web site and people add to it as hopefully the list grows.

Clare
Clare Allan
Stirling University Library
University of Stirling