John Kinder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[OMISSIS]
> Però, che tristezza, sentire gli stessi insulti
> infantili e le stesse facili demagogie
> fondamentaliste, da stimati colleghi e colleghe,
> che adolescenti non dovrebbero esserlo più.

oh, dear!
"The periods of infancy, boyhood, youth, and old age, are different; but I, who
have been infant, boy, and youth, am still the same.  Thus, although each has
at different times a different constitution, the adaptation of each to its
constitution is the same.  For nature does not consign boyhood or youth, or old
age, to me; it consigns me to them. Therefore, the child is adapted to that
constitution which is his at the present moment of childhood, not to that which
will be his in youth.  For even if there is in store for him any higher phase
into which he must be changed, the state in which he is born is also according
to nature.  First of all, the living being is adapted to itself, for there must
be a pattern to which all other things may be referred.  I seek pleasure; for
whom?  For myself.  I am therefore looking out for myself.  I shrink from pain;
on behalf of whom?  Myself.  Therefore, I am looking out for myself."
SENECA, Epistle CXXI, 16

Best regards,
Giuliano Merz, A bitter fool

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html