Applications are invited for MAs by Research in Italian at the
University of Leeds.  Bursaries are available via the School of Modern
Languages and Cultures for suitably-qualified candidates.

The Leeds MA by Research is a one-year programme, examined by a
30,000-word (100-page) dissertation.  There is no taught component,
although students all follow a research training and methodology course
provided by the School of Modern Languages and Cultures.  Students meet
regularly with their supervisor(s) to discuss their work, and submit
regular pieces of written work in preparation for the submission of the
final dissertation.  The programme is particularly suited to students
who already have a fairly clear idea of what they would like to study at
postgraduate level and who are able to work independently (though,
obviously, with guidance) and to present their written work clearly and
effectively.

The Department of Italian at Leeds is large, with well over 200
undergraduate students, eight full-time members of staff and a part-time
postdoctoral fellow.  We can provide supervision in a wide range of
areas, including Dante, Boccaccio, Renaissance art and literature, book
history, the history of the Italian language, the nineteenth- and
twentieth-century Italian novel, twentieth-century Italian poetry,
plurilingualism in Italian literature, Italian cinema, Italian popular
culture.  The Department runs a dynamic programme of research events.
It is the home of the Leeds Centre for Dante Studies, and the UK Network
for the Study of Medieval Italian Culture. The Italian Writers in Leeds
Series brings a leading contemporary Italian author to Leeds every year.
In recent months the Department has organised an international
conference on Renaissance literature, art and music, and a seminar
series on Italian film.  The School of Modern Languages and Cultures in
Leeds is the northern hub of the AHRC's Research Training Network for
Modern Languages.

Further information about the Department can be found on our website:
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/italian//.

Students who might be interested in applying for the MA by Research are
encouraged to contact me informally in the first instance to discuss
their proposed area of research. My email address is:
[log in to unmask] (as ever, don't reply to the whole list!).

The School of Modern Languages and Cultures in Leeds is offering
bursaries covering all or part of the fees for MAs by Research in the
School.  For more information, see the application form and guidance
notes at:
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/smlc/documents/SMLC%20bursaries%202008-9.pdf.

I'd be really grateful if you could pass this information on to any
final-year students (or recent graduates) who might be interested.

With best wishes

Claire

Dr Claire Honess
Department of Italian
School of Modern Languages and Cultures
University of Leeds
Leeds, LS2 9JT
Tel: 0113 3433631
email: [log in to unmask]
web: www.leeds.ac.uk/italian

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html