Since the list is getting lively this week, may I add my two penn'orth?

I spent part of my working life as a printer. I was a member of the National
Graphical Association (NGA). During that time Rupert Murdoch transferred
printing of "The Times" from (unionised) Fleet Street to Fortress Wapping.
This was one of the vanguard moments in Margaret Thatcher's assault on the
British labour unions. As trade unionists we blockaded Wapping for a whole
year, with many street battles on the way. For this we were dubbed "The
Gutenburg Gangsters".

From that day to this I have boycotted all Murdoch products. I have
encouraged my children and my colleagues to do the same. In my view the
Spender Prize should be boycotted for as long as it remains associated with
the Times. In my view people who associate with Murdoch products are
muppets.

The idea of a prize for translating poetry is wonderful. Let us hope that
this project can find a new sponsor.

Ed Emery

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html