I agree that the folklore about sites is part of their history and charm.  I have one site with an association with Druid sacrifices because a nearby area is called Druid's Heath.  The truth - that the name comes from the fact that its Norman owner was a certain Drew or Dru is far more prosaic.  The question of what to do about patently incorrect theories is an even more interesting one.  I tend nowadays to include them on my HER record with a proviso such as 'but this is unlikely' or something stronger depending on how I feel on the day, as otherwise people think that you are unaware of it.  As a general rule I find that the more bizarre the theory the more it will be quoted to you - often by archaeologists who should know better!

Mike Shaw

________________________________

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records on behalf of Gemma Lewis
Sent: Wed 30/01/2008 15:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Eccentrics

Hi

I have a nice light and fluffy question. In Durham we are currently re-organising our further information files. We have significant amounts of information about some interesting theories about some of the features in County Durham, such as pyramids in County Durham and Rock Art coming from lost Roman forts. Obviously, everyone else has similar problems, but how have you dealt with the information and the HER.

Basically we are torn whether to put in the information in the Further Information files which may lead to misinterpretation of sites when combined with other information or we keep it separate which may endorse some of the theories, or put suggest that they are completely incorrect (when there is no way we can ever prove the theories one way another).

Gemma

Gemma Lewis
Assistant Archaeology Officer
Adult and Community Services
Libraries, Learning and Culture
The Rivergreen Centre, Aykley Heads, DH1 5TS
Tel: 0191 370 8844
Fax: 0191 370 8897
Email: [log in to unmask]

Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However, we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus checking procedures.

DISCLAIMER: This email and files transmitted are
confidential and are intended solely for the use of the
intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, or the person responsible for delivering it to
the intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose,
distribute or use it in any unauthorised manner.  If you
have received this email in error please notify us by
email to [log in to unmask] and then delete
it and any attachments accompanying it.  Please note that
Wolverhampton City Council cannot guarantee that this
message or any attachments are virus free or have not been
intercepted and amended.
Any views or opinions expressed within this email are
those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those
of Wolverhampton City Council and no contractual
arrangement is intended to arise from this communication.