Heya squires,

The upgrade to 1.8 isn't a very labour intensive one if you're not
planning on implimenting the SpaceManager. Simply update the rpms,
edit the dCacheSetup to your requirements (the thing to watch out for
in my opinion is the new pool metadata system settings), then run the
reconfigure scripts and restart it all. Our pools took an age to start
up the first time as they built the metadata databases. The srm 2.2
workshop notes (
http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=21405 ) has all the
information you'd need to do the upgrade, although scattered
throughout a few presentations.

Our troubles with 1.8 way back when we upgraded were all fixed by
updating from 1.8.0-4 -> 1.8.0-5, Patch 5 fixed a bug or two that was
plagueing us. Our current troubles- well I wish I knew exactly what
was causing them! Even a complete rebuild of our PoolManager.conf
hasn't fixed us, it refuses to believe we have any write pools.
Something has broken our Pool Selection system. I would advise
upgrading to 1.8.0-12 without activating the SpaceManager, then
activate after you're comfortable that it's all working.

cheers,
Matt