Dear colleagues,

Hereby we would like to invite you to contribute to a session on
subduction dynamics and kinematics to be held at the 33rd IGC in
Oslo, Norway, 6-14 August 2008. The session will particularly focus
on three-dimensional aspects of subduction, and we encourage
submissions dealing with dynamic modelling, tectonic reconstructions,
and observational studies (e.g. seismology, mantle tomography).

Please note that the deadline for submission of abstracts is the 29th
of February 2008.
For abstract submission and more information on the 33rd IGC, please go to:

www.33igc.org

We have four invited speakers for this session:

Chris Kincaid, University of Rhode Island, USA
Maureen Long, Carnegie Institution of Washington, USA
Anne Replumaz, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, France
Trond Torsvik, Centre for Geodynamics, Geological Survey of Norway, Norway

Please also note that we have been contacted by the Geological
Society, London, who are interested in publishing a Geological
Society Special Publication from the contributions to the session.

Kind regards,

Wouter Schellart
Dave Stegman
Gideon Rosenbaum

STT-07 Title: Three-dimensional aspects of subduction zone processes:
Insight from dynamic modelling, tectonic reconstructions and
observational studies

Conveners:
Wouter P. Schellart, School of Geosciences, Monash University,
Melbourne, Australia
Gideon Rosenbaum, School of Physical Sciences, University of
Queensland, Australia
Dave R. Stegman, School of Mathematical Sciences, Monash University,
Melbourne, Australia

Description of session:

Subduction zones are limited in trench-paralell extent and vary in
width from only a few hundred kilometres (e.g. Scotia, Calbria) to
more than seven thousand kilometres (South America). In addition,
subduction zones display a wide variety in geometry from concave
(e.g. Scotia) to sub-linear (e.g. Tonga-Kermadec) to convex (e.g.
Central South America). Furthermore, kinematic investigations imply
that subduction zones are not static features but migrate laterally
due to retrograde and prograde motion of the slab through the mantle,
thereby inducing complex three-dimensional flow patterns in the
mantle. It is thus evident that subduction and subduction-induced
mantle flow are intrinsically three-dimensional processes. To gain
new insight into the kinematics and dynamics of subduction and
subduction-induced mantle flow, it is thus of primary importance to
investigate these processes in three-dimensional space.
We therefore seek contributions presenting results from
three-dimensional dynamic modelling (both analogue and numerical
modelling) of subduction, slab-mantle interaction, subducting
plate-overriding plate interaction and backarc extension. We also
welcome contributions focusing on tectonic reconstructions of
subduction zone evolution on Earth. Finally, we invite contributions
from observational studies that focus on the three-dimensional
structural architecture of subduction zones and subducted slabs
through structural, seismological and tomographic investigations, as
well as contributions that concentrate on flow patterns in the mantle
surrounding slabs as inferred from seismic anisotropy.

Dr. W. P. Schellart
QE II Research Fellow
Monash Research Fellow
School of Geosciences