I think I may know what will work, but in the end you can check and see if
this is what you are looking for.

Use the flirt with three steps (low->high->ref). Use Affine (12 parameter
model) to register the high res to the reference. This is because you need
to use all the degrees of freedom to transform your subject's highres image
into reference space (these are very different brains). Use the Rigid body
(6 parameter model) for the lowres to highres transformation (they only need
a little shifting since they are the same brain). Once this is complete, you
will have 3 transformation matrices. I believe they are numbered in the
following way: low2ref.mat = lowres to standard; low2ref1.mat = highres to
standard; low2ref2.mat = lowres to highres. Now you have all the
transformation matrices that you should need for the rest of your analyses.

Take the matrix that transforms from lowres to highres space and invert it
using invert flirt transform in the utilities. Now you want to apply this
matrix, which is highres to lowres, to your T1. You may actually want to
draw your masks in highres space and then apply the inverted matrix to the
masks instead. See what works for you though.

I am pretty sure this is what I have been doing and it has been working with
good results.

ted