You probably want to use TBSS to get around registration issues that
arise when you compare FA values across different subjects...
You may want to have a look at  the manual: www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/tbss

Saad.

On 18 Jan 2008, at 16:45, Jiansong Xu wrote:

> Thanks again. See below.
>

>> fslstats can get you pretty far in analyzing your FA values after
>> masking, but I like to bring the image into matlab. What are you
>> looking to do for your FA analysis?
>
> I'm not sure yet.  The basic idea is that we have two groups. One
> is control, and the other is patients. We define the ROIs, then I
> will extract the mean FA values in each ROI, and put these values
> into SPSS for t-test.  Is this idea too naive?
>
> Best
>
> Jiansong
>

>> ted
>>
>> On Jan 18, 2008 11:04 AM, Jiansong Xu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Ted:
>>
>> Thanks a lot.  My bvales look Ok without any manipulation after
>> conversion by using MRIconvert. They are similar to the numbers in
>> the following tutorial ( http://www.sph.sc.edu/comd/rorden/
>> workshop/fsl/dti/).
>>
>> Can I use featqurey to extract the FA values? I was told that we
>> can use featquery to get BOLD signal changes in ROI analysis of
>> functional images.
>>
>> Best Regards.
>>

>> On Jan 18, 2008, at 10:43 AM, Ted Yanagihara wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 18, 2008 10:02 AM, Jiansong Xu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> Dear Friends:
>>>
>>> I'm learning how to analyze DTI data with FSL(FDT), and I'm
>>> wondering
>>> if any one can make comments about my procedures described below.
>>>
>>> My DTI data were acquired with a Simens Trio 3T scanner. 32
>>> directions. b=1000
>>>
>>> (I) Use MRIconvert to convert the DICOM data into NIFTI format for
>>> DTI. The conversion created
>>> 1. one textile file with bvalues
>>> 2. one textile file with bvecs
>>> 3. one image file with b0
>>> 4. 32 image files with b1000
>>>
>>> My question here is: Do I need to do any thing with the number in
>>> the
>>> bvalues and bvecs file before using the two files, e.g., normalize?
>>>
>>> With MRIconvert you need to change all the bvalues except the
>>> first one from zero to 1000. I believe the program does not do
>>> this for you, so you probably have 32 zeros in the original
>>> bvalue file. Depending on your scanner, you may need to flip the
>>> signs in a row of your bvecs. You will have to check the output
>>> after fitting the tensors. There are a few posts on this list
>>> about this if you need help with it, I ran into the same problem
>>> a while back.
>>>

>>> (II) Use fslmerge to merge all image files into 4D file. The 4D file
>>> has 33 images, and the b0 image is the first one.  Now I remove
>>> all 3D
>>> image files from the directory, so that the directory has 3 files
>>> left, one for bvalues, one for bvecs, one for 4D images.
>>>
>>> (III) Rename the three files, so that their names are: set00_bvalus,
>>> set00_bvecs, set00_data.nii.gz
>>> My question here is: how strict is this rule for file naming?
>>>
>>> (IV) Use FDT to do Eddy current correction. The input file is
>>> set00_data.nii.gz, the output is set00_corr.nii.gz
>>>
>>> (V) Use BET to create binary mask. The input file is
>>> set00_corr.nii.gz
>>>
>>> (VI) Use DTIFIT Reconstruct diffusion tensors to create FA
>>> image.  The
>>> input file is set00_corr.nii.gz.
>>>
>>> Sorry, I am not familiar with this naming system and I don't know
>>> if bedpostX will recognize those files automatically, but I
>>> believe it would be easier if you used the following convention.
>>> Otherwise, you could specify the individual files using the fdt GUI.
>>>
>>> bvecs
>>> bvals -Remember to change those zeros to 1000s
>>> data.nii.gz -This is your eddy current corrected diffusion image
>>> nodif_brain_mask.nii.gz -This is the mask from the BETed no
>>> diffusion image
>>>

>>> Now I get dti_FA.nii.gz file.  Is this file have the FA values?
>>>
>>> Yes, this is your FA map for that subject. You can open it in
>>> FSLview and see the FA intensities at each voxel. You can check
>>> this by looking at the ventricles, which should be close to zero,
>>> and the corpus callosum, which should be in the 0.7-0.8 range.
>>>

>>> If I want to do ROI analysis, how can I extract the FA values after
>>> the ROI is defined, which FSL should I use?
>>>
>>> Draw a binary mask in FSLview and then multiply it by your FA
>>> image. This will zero all the voxels in the FA image that are not
>>> included in your mask. The command would be something like this:
>>> fslmaths FA_image -mul mask_image output_name
>>>
>>> You can then do various things with the output, such as find the
>>> mean FA value: fslstats output_name -M
>>>

>>> Your comments are highly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jiansong
>>>
>>> Good Luck!