Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:49:21 +1100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FILM-PHILOSOPHY Digest - 25 Jan 2008 - Special issue (#2008-30)
To: [log in to unmask]

Having reviewed this debate over the last few days, I'm coming round to the view that ad hominem attacks have their place. I suggest that an appropriate mode for such an attack on Mr Dewhirst would be 'denial of service.'

He has demonstrated repeatedly and firmly that he has no knowledge of philosophy, or of philosophical approaches or attitudes (hell, he can't even spell 'ad hominem'). His quaint 1970s-style elevation of film directors to a pedestal above all others involved in film practice/industry indicates that his knowledge of film is at roughly late-primary school level (I'm absolutely serious).

Why give him any oxygen at all? Either set the list to automatically exclude him, or let's all just ignore everything he says from now on. The latter course is preferable: I'm fascinated to see just how childish he can become.

To use your own terms about your own most recent entry, Mr Dewhirst:  "to be sure, I deliberately ignored that self righteous, priestly twaddle..."

Meanwhile, farewell to Heath Ledger — a wonderful actor who, like so many other actors (people who actually know something about film, Mr Dewhirst, would actually be able to name quite a few of them) would with maturity have probably become a wonderful director.

Greg

Dr Greg Battye
Head,  School of Creative Communication
http://www.canberra.edu.au/schools/creative-communication
University of Canberra
ACT 2601

Phone: +61 2 6201 2928   Fax:  +61 2 6201 5300
Australian Government Higher Education (CRICOS)
Registered Provider number: #00212K

NOTICE & DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it may
contain confidential or copyright material and are for the attention of the
addressee only.  If you have received this email in error please notify us
by email reply and delete it from your system.  The University of Canberra
email.

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **

Check our comprehensive Salary Centre Overpaid or Underpaid? * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **