Dear All,

Please find below the details of the next Globalisation seminar that I
thought might be of interest to you. Attached you will also find the pdf
brochure. Please feel free to forward this e-mail to others who may be
interested in attending.

Globalisation Series of Seminars and Lectures

Professor Ronald Burt
University of Chicago Graduate School of Business

Wednesday 13 February 2008, 6pm
The Skeel Lecture Theatre
The People's Palace, Queen Mary, University of London, Mile End Road,
London, E1 4NS

A reception will follow the lecture

"Gossip and Reputation"
Few things are more valuable than reputation, or more consequential for the
success of new ventures. Yet, popular understanding of reputation continues
to be based on anecdotes and platitudes. This session is an introduction to
the social mechanism that defines reputation: gossip. We'll talk about trust
and character assassination. We'll talk about the exaggeration of good
people into heroes and weak people into villains. We'll talk about first
impressions, network decay, and why some reputations stick while others fade
away so quickly. We'll talk about the keys to building and maintaining
reputation.

Ronald Burt is the Hobart W. Williams Professor of Sociology and Strategy at
the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business. Professor Burt is
most notable for his research and writing on social networks and social
capital, particularly the social structure of competitive advantage and the
concept of structural holes in a social network. Applications focus on
manager networks (how people of diverse backgrounds create social capital
and its effects on their careers) and the network structure of market
profits (how the structure of producer, supplier, and consumer relations
defines competitive advantage among producers). Professor Burt obtained his
Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Chicago in 1977 and in 1993 he was
elected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is the
Academy of Management's 2007 Distinguished Scholar in Organization and
Management Theory.

Participation is free, no registration is required. An extended announcement
is at http://www.busman.qmul.ac.uk/events/events.php?action=display&eid=641

The location can be found at
http://www.busman.qmul.ac.uk/contact/

Kind regards