Happy new year to all, although I'm sure it seems a long while ago now!

Our estates department has been looking to change the current plan to
fit mechanical powered door openers throughout some teaching areas and
move over to a new type of door opener called a "Dual power
electro-magnetic door controller".

These openers work using two forces (a lower one for usual operation and
a higher one which is triggered on activation of the fire alarm).  The
doors therefore fit the requirements for fire safety but are also
supposed to require much lower forces to be opened under normal
conditions making them well within the limits of BS8300.

I do not wish to counter this idea without full consideration as due to
the associated cost saving, we may be able to treat 4 times as many
doors by using the new system (and we have lots of long corridors with
lots of obstructive doors!).  My worry is that the doors still have to
be pushed/pulled open however light.  Am I also right in thinking that
automatic openers can cause problems for other groups of users when they
open unexpectedly or break down?

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has been through these
discussions or who knows of a good study or evidence looking at the
benefits, drawbacks and the opinion of disabled users of mechanical
powered door openers vs others.

The university currently plans to fit one of these for testing (I hope
involving individuals with mobility impairment) but they seem to be
looking very positively at them right now.

Nicky Hammond