In that article they say:

> Two years ago a man was awarded £300 after he received unsolicited
> marketing emails from a company who had not been authorised to release
> his personal details.
I wonder what they are talking about? I don't recognise the description
of the case.

Of course, perchance, they might be referring to Roberts v Media
Logistics (Small Claims Track, unreported), the £300 wasn't "awarded"
(it was an out-of-court settlement after a default judgment), and it
wasn't the case that the company concerned "had not been authorised to
release his personal details", which implies they had them lawfully in
the first place (they shouldn't have had them at all!).

Nigel