Intereresting as implies that such diagnoses are universally a bad thing. I can't see how saying that is defensible myself.

I remember running a session of diagnostic labelling for clinical psychology trainees for a nujmber of years. We usually seemed to end up in the position that there were both pros and cons. I can help feeling that banning screening (or diagnostic labelling) is a rather unsophisticated response to a complex issue.

John McGowan

From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Craig Newnes
Sent: 09 January 2008 10:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Screening of children

I'm not sure how many people on the list work directly with children but any clinical psychologists in child services will have colleagues using terms like Autistic Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, Asperger's and so on. You may be aware that the incidence of prescribing stimulants to children has increased 10,000X in ten years. This is partly on the back of a diagnostic regime carried out by psychologists and psychiatrists, often justified because the diagnosis brings much need financial benefits (at the price of a disability label). The US has had so called mental health screening of children for years - with a huge increase in prescriptions.
Piedmonte just passed a law against screening of children in schools. Children cannot be the subjects of psychological tests, nor can they have their "psychological state" assessed. It might be helpful to draw this to the attention of colleagues. It is not unlike the law against ECT in Germany, Holland and Italy in that the illegality of such procedures elsewhere sometimes makes UK and US professionals take note.
Craig
___________________________________ COMMUNITYPSYCHUK - The discussion list for community psychology in the UK. To unsubscribe or to change your details visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/COMMUNITYPSYCHUK.HTML For any problems or queries, contact the list moderator Rebekah Pratt on [log in to unmask] or Grant Jeffrey on [log in to unmask]

Help us to be the best we can be ...

Become a member of Sussex Partnership and help us to fight stigma and raise the profile of mental wellbeing.
Please visit our Foundation Trust membership web page for more information and a membership application form.

This message and any attachments contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies and delete the email after advising the sender of the error. Please do not disclose copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

The information contained within it may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act (2000), unless it is legally exempt from disclosure.

P Save the environment - think before you print