There are numerous people on this list (Penny Priest speak up) who can respond to Mark's suggestion that we look for examples of community work rather than community psychology. Tho this is riven with problems (e.g, in my village I have been in several sub-communities in the past 20 years and at least 50 people don't count me as a local because my family name isn't in Richard Gough's History of Myddle, pub 1701) but here's a simple example:
Apart from involvement in the PTA, Primary School Governors etc (now there's an education) Isabel and I have contributed time, money, toys, form-filling and committee skills to the Pre-school for  a long time. Being called Dr has helped when confronted with Govt bureaucrats - even Offsted backed off while Isabel was first Chair then secretary. The outcome has been a safe place for local kids to play (with Govt targets all kept in the bin), a chance for local parents to meet each other and swap skills (logs for plumbing was a good example), for parents to get drunk together at "Race night" etc. Single parents have been able to get P/T jobs (Engels wouldn't approve), stay home, shag the neighbour (Foucault would like this - see Care of the Self) and, if all else fails, pleasure themselves during daylight hours (David Cooper would approve - he said the ONLY time we escaped the impact of Capitalism was during orgasm - see The Language of Madness).
So, it's a small example - but you must THINK SMALL - nonsense about overthrowing the system is just distraction.
Craig
___________________________________ COMMUNITYPSYCHUK - The discussion list for community psychology in the UK. To unsubscribe or to change your details visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/COMMUNITYPSYCHUK.HTML For any problems or queries, contact the list moderator Rebekah Pratt on [log in to unmask] or Grant Jeffrey on [log in to unmask]