Yes, I think Mark is wise to introduce Habermas as a possible
'communicative' link between the two 'sides', and does so very lucidly,
especially as I is keen to stress that the Habermas project for 'rescuing'
modernity is not without its problems.

I had thought about mentioning him myself earlier but there was match of
the day on the telly.  As I read the most recent posts before the football
overtook all critucal faculties, it occurred to me that we were a) simply
starting down the rerun of the Foucault-Lyotiard vs. Habermas argument of
years ago, and not likely to resolve much soon b) providing first-hand
evidence of the need for a bit of Habermasian commuincative action, which H
defines as "thatform of social interaction in which the plans of action of
different actors are co-ordinated through an exchange of communicative
acts, that is, through a use of language orientated towards reaching
understanding'.

I like this link  to a quick summary of stuff    -
http://sincronia.cucsh.udg.mx/modr.htm and bibliography.

anyway, is this an agenda item for the Edinburgh conference?  Should be

Best

Paul