From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jacob Keller
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 4:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] DNA contamination post-Talon?

Sorry for the off-topic question again,

but has anybody encountered DNA fragments' sticking to a Talon column? I got the attached trace after putting my Talon-purified protein onto an s75 column. Notice that the A254:A280 ratio changes pretty dramatically from the first peak to the last (although the scales are off a bit--the red trace should be about half what it is. This actually happened quite a while ago, so there are some experimental gaps (such as a coomassie gel of all fractions), but from the post-Talon gel, the protein looks about, say, 90% pure (probably better)? I am trying to make sense of this in light of some more recent developments.

Could it be a contaminating protein bound to nucleotide or some other highly-absorptive small molecule in the void volume? I would not think that would have enough absorbance, really, to be seen so prominently. Or perhaps fragments of DNA, which have a much greater E254, and might run in the void volume if sufficiently large, but I would not think they would make it past the Talon (hence the question)...Any suggestions welcome...Also, from the dried coomassie gel, could I determine whether there is DNA there? How can one detect DNA in PAGE gels?

Jacob Keller

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program