Postdoctoral Positions in Protein Crystallography at the Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Glasgow

We are seeking several highly motivated postdoctoral researchers to investigate the structure of cancer related proteins and drug targets.

We are a newly established group at the Beatson Institute for Cancer Research in Glasgow, UK. Our group is interested in proteins of the kinesin superfamily, and their associated proteins, with a focus on human mitotic kinesins. Many of these proteins are good candidates for drug development in cancer chemotherapy. In addition, we will also determine the structures of other cancer-related proteins in collaboration with other groups in the Institute.

We have a new, fully equipped and state-of-the-art structural biology laboratory including ÄKTA protein purification systems, nano- and micro-drop robots for automated protein crystallization, a Rigaku HighFlux Homelab microfocus diffraction system and comprehensive data processing facilities. In addition, we are well equipped to characterise the biochemistry of protein - inhibitor complexes towards the optimisation of lead compounds in collaboration with our chemist colleagues.  The Beatson Institute has a large range of core service facilities including DNA sequencing, protein production and mass spectrometry.

A number of positions are available (3 year contract in the first instance):

1) We require researchers with significant experience in protein crystallisation and structure determination and who are fully familiar with all the major software packages for x-ray crystallography.

2) An additional post is available for a biochemist with experience of characterising protein-inhibitor complexes. Experience in data processing, structure solution and model building is required.

3) The third position requires experience in cloning, expression and purification of proteins. The successful candidate is expected to actively participate in structure determination. Experience of crystallisation robots is an advantage but not essential.

Closing date for applications is 22nd Feb 2008.  Applications, with CV and names of three referees, should be sent by email to:

Prof. Frank Kozielski

The Beatson Institute for Cancer Research

Switchback Road, Bearsden

Glasgow G61 1BD

Scotland

http://www.beatson.gla.ac.uk/research/index.html?topic_id=544