Hi Mohammed,

you've put the finger on a weak point in reporting crystallographic
statistics ;-). The use of Rmerge and Rsym differs wi(l)dely amongst
crystallographers. In my opinion, Rsym should be reported for the
single crystal internal symmetry R-factor between symmetry-equivalent
reflections, whereas Rmerge should be used as the cross-data-set
merging R-factor if several data sets are merged together. However,
often, you will find Rmerge in place of Rsym in single-crystal
statistics tables ...

Best regards,

Dirk.

Am 18.01.2008 um 16:02 schrieb Salameh, Mohd A., Ph.D.:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I will appreciate it if anybody can clarify to me the differences
> between Rmerge and Rsym. Many thanks, M

> Mohammed A. Salameh, Ph.D.
>
> Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
>
> Griffin Cancer Research Building