On 09/01/2008, at 20.48, Anastassis Perrakis wrote:

> I actually think that inaccurate cells are a big source of misery
> in many refinements. I have found the idea
> of WhatCheck to actually check your cell by looking at the
> projection of bond lengths of certain types along the cell axes
> most useful.
> I would hardly advocate to measure your cell that way, but going
> back to you data and looking at the cell again would be worth it.

However, cell parameters are quantities that have been experimentally
determined, thus calculating them using the approach of WhatCheck is
methodically incorrect. Furthermore, there is lots of scattering
matter in the unit cell that is not accurately modelled by atoms.

Bond lengths and angles are only needed in macromolecular
crystallography to overcome the poor data to parameter ratio. They
are an artefact of life, so to speak. And as such, they are
artificially tightly restrained to some ideal value. The data is
normally not strong enough to tell us that a bond is _not_ ideal.

As any measurements, cell parameters have an uncertainty associated
with them, so a better approach would be to propagate those errors in
measurements in a proper statistical fashion.

Cheers,
Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard, asc. professor, MSc, PhD
Department of Molecular Biology, Aarhus University