HETERODOX ECONOMICS NEWSLETTER

www.heterodoxnews.com <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm>

Issue 55: January 14, 2008

From the Editor

I have received a number of interesting responses to my comments in the last issue of the Newsletter. One of particular interest was from Tom Abeles, editor of On the Horizon ( http://www.emeraldinsight.com/oth.htm ), which is an international quarterly publication providing analysis and comment on the future of post-secondary education. He has offered the possibility of doing a special issue dealing with the following themes:

research assessment and its impact on heterodox economics-methods,
results, and regional case studies,

importance (or not) of book publishers and book series for heterodox
economics,

the difficulty of heterodox economists publishing in mainstream
journals,

problems and promises of ranking heterodox journals and/or departments
by themselves and/or in relation to mainstream journals and departments,

the impact of journal rankings on the tenure and promotion of heterodox
economists,

the network of heterodox and mainstream journals and individuals based
on citations, and

the possibilities and/or drawbacks of open access publishing for
heterodox economics.

The papers (of no more than 5000 words) can range from personal experiences and case studies to provocative and speculative essays. If you are interested, please send me an e-mail or Wolfram Elsner (who will be my co-editor) an e-mail ([log in to unmask]) saying so and the title and a brief description. Once we get an idea of who interested in this project, details regarding submission dates will be developed.

In Issue 53 of the Newsletter I commented on the decline of subscriptions to heterodox journals. I recently received a note from Paul Davidson saying that renewal and total individual and library paper subscriptions to the Journal of Post Keynesian Economics are way down, with the implication that the short/long term viability of the JPKE is in jeopardy. It is possible that the libraries have switched to an electronic version of the JPKE which would have a slightly lower price but a greater profit margin for Sharpe. In addition, some individuals may also decide to give up their paper subscription, since they can have easy access, through their university libraries, to the pdf version of the articles that they wish to download. However, to leave the JPKE solely in the hands of a publisher who treats it as a commodity is, I think, problematical since this may mean that the JPKE could evolve more to being a money making venture and thus may cease to be a tool that promotes the development of heterodox economics. In any case, if heterodox economists wish to encourage the study of heterodoxy, then they must make sure that heterodox journals are viable and are directly responsive to their research and community concerns. This requires that, at a minimum, that every university and college where heterodox economists are located has at least one subscription to the JPKE (and other heterodox journals). Moreover, I urge that past and current individual subscribers to the JPKE to renew their subscriptions. It is indeed disappointing that many heterodox economists who submit papers to heterodox journals, including the JPKE, believe that they need not makeany material contribution to their existence or even make any effort toget their institution to subscribe to them. Without such support and activism, heterodox economic journals will ultimately cease to exist.

I have been informed that a delegation of top Russian economists-- the directors of the two top economic institutes of the Russian academy of sciences, the director of the Sorokin-Kondratieff foundation, a top academician from Novosibirsk, and chairs of departments of economics of the leading Russian universities--will be attending the 2008 AHE Conference in Cambridge, United Kingdom. They are open-minded scholars, who saw firsthand that the old fashioned orthodoxy doesn't work and causes pain and suffering. If you are interested in speaking with them, please attend the conference. If you would like more information, please contact Dr. Lucy Badalian at [log in to unmask]  or [log in to unmask]
Fred Lee

In this issue:

Call for Papers <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#Call_for_Papers>

- The 10th International Post Keynesian Conference
- Graduate Summer School in Post Keynesian Economics

- 'John Maynard Keynes 125 years - what have we learned?'
- The 10th International Post Keynesian Conference
- Graduate Summer School in Post Keynesian Economics
- The 35th Annual Conference of the History of Economic Society
- Happiness and capability: measurement, theory and policy
- ERSA 2008- Culture, Cohesion and Competitiveness: Regional Perspectives
- HETSA Conference 2008
- The Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics (SASE)
- Post Keynesian Economics Study Group

- Recent Developments in Economics: Mainstreams and Heterodoxies

Conferences, Seminars and Lectures <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#Conferences,_Seminars_and_Lectures>

- The Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA)

- Social Aspects of Green Economics

- Has the Canadian Economy Caught Dutch Disease?

- Science of Logic

- Series on Modelling Social Conflict

- Hétérodoxies du CES-Matisse

- Three Talks by Loren Goldner
- The Revival of Political Economy
- Robert Solow and the Development of Growth Economics
- The 10th International Workshop on Institutional Economics
- Left Forum 2008
- 10th SCEME Seminar in Economic Methodology
- Convegno internazionale di Studi- International Studies Conference

Job Postings for Heterodox Economists <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#Job_Postings_for_Heterodox_Economists>

- Buffalo State College
- Senior Economist
- FTC- The Bureau of Economics

Heterodox Conference Papers and Reports and Articles <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#Heterodox_Conference_Papers_and_Reports_and_Articles>

- Living Wage Policies and Wal-Mart
- Lessons from the Subprime Meltdown
- Earnings Functions and the Measurement of the Determinants of Wage Dispersion:
Extending Oaxaca's Approach
- Grupo De Propaganda Marxista
- Evidencia del Ciclo de Goodwin, por el Dr. Mario Garcia (primeras 9 partes-video)
- Teaching heterodox economics concepts
The Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA)
- Declining Poverty in Latin America? A Critical Analysis of New Estimates by
International Institutions
- Cambridge Review of International Affairs
- The Global Repercussions of Changes in US Monetary Policy
- POLÍTICA MONETARIA Y CAMBIARIA EN LA ARGENTINA POSTCONVERTIBILIDAD

- The Politics of Patents and Drugs in Brazil and Mexico: The Industrial Bases of Health Activism        - Complexity Meets Development- A Felicitous Encounter on the Road of Life

Heterodox Journals and Newsletters <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#Heterodox_Journals_and_Newsletters>

- Levy News
- Review of Social Economy
- The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought
- Poverty in Focus: Gender Equality
- Feminist Economics
- Sociedad Latinoamericana de Economía Política y Pensamiento Crítico (SEPLA)
- New Political Economy
- Economic Systems Research
- History of Economics Review 46, Summer 2007

- The Associative Economics Bulletin

- International Review of Applied Economics

- Review of Political Economy

- AIRLEAP's Newsletter

- Revista Circus: Una revista argentina de Teoria Economica

Heterodox Books and Book Series <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#Heterodox_Books,_Book_Series,_and_Book_Reviews>

- Advances in Heterodox Economics
- Radical Thinkers III
- Critical Companion to Contemporary Marxism
- Institutional economics and psychoanalysis: how can they collaborate for a better understanding of individual-society dynamics?
- Beyond the World Bank Agenda: An Institutional Approach to Development

- Social Murder And Other Shortcomings Of Conservative Economics

Heterodox Book Reviews <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#Heterodox_Book_Reviews>

- The Wealth of Ideas: a history of economic thought

Heterodox Web Sites <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#Heterodox_Web_Sites>

- Allan Schmid's Institutional Economics
- SEPLA

Queries from Heterodox Economists <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#Queries_from_Heterodox_Economists>

- Firm Theory

For Your Information <http://l.web.umkc.edu/leefs/htn55.htm#For_Your_Information>

- Kendall P. Cochran 1924-2007
- Andrew Glyn
- Dollars & Sense seeks collective members
- Save the Marxian Tradition at Seoul National University, South Korea

- A New Collection on American Economic Thought and Policies

- Stephen Frowen died on 21 December 2007