I talked about this years ago with Armand Schwerner. We had both
experienced a change in the nature of the drive to write, that it had
become less a compulsion and more a choice as we aged. Like a lot of
other drives, by the way. How this functions on a day to day basis is
more complex, at least for me. I write when I write, I don't worry
about it much when I don't. My sense is that neither I nor any
readers need volume for its own sake, which is often accompanied by a
vitiation of quality.

On the other hand, I continue to carry my notebook, and in fertile
times I scribble at whatever odd moments--on the subway, at readings,
etc. The extraction or shaping into poems for publication is another
matter (or even showing work to friends)--I tend not to get around to
it very often. This hasn't always been the case. I've always been
both diffident and confused about publication, as witness the 19 year
gap between my two full collections (and when the next comes out in
the spring it will have been an additional 13 years), during which I
published little in journals but was very busy with the rest of my
life. But during that time I was producing finished work. My process
has changed: the notebooks tend to take on a life of their own, and
for the most part I tend not to worry about whipping its parts into
any kind of shape unless an mpulse comes from outside, as recently
when Hal Johnson asked me for work for Hamilton Stone, or when a
reading is scheduled.

Which is a long way to say that for me at least publication has been
at best a sporadic motivator.or inhibitor.

One big change for all of us, I think, is the advent of the internet,
which raises all of our profiles. It's especially helpful for those
as diffident as I am.

Mark