Bradford College Open Days 2008. Make a date to come and see us.
11 March 2008, 12pm - 8pm   -   1 July 2008, 12pm - 8pm   -   21 August 2008, 12pm - 8pm

I see HEFCE are considering included students in receipt of the Disabled
Students Allowance in the list of exemptions for the ELQ policy.  See
9b?
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0801&L=admin-hefce&T=0&
F=&S=&P=448

Has anyone worked out how this wouldl operate in practice, eg do we need
to ask applicants for potential ELQs, if they have also applied for the
DSA and if so, then tell them their fee rate is dependent on whether
they are given DSA?

At enrolment, our forms will have a section saying if the student is in
receipt of DSA they tick a box (we need this for funding monitoring
too).  If the student has a combination of an equivalent or prior
qualification (assuming they have declared it) and the DSA, they don't
have to produce proof of their prior qualification at enrolment (eg a
degree certificate) but we will need them to show evidence they are in
receipt of the DSA before we give them the reduced fee presumably?

We get electronic data about SLC but do we get electronic confirmation
for DSA does anyone know?  It's locally authority assessed, but do they
notify SLC?

If a student has yet to receive confirmation of their assessment, we
presumably charge them the higher fee until they receive their
assessment?

I suppose we should be grateful for any small mercies/exemptions, but it
seems to raise yet a few more administrative problems and uncertainties
in my mind.

What do others, particularly those running enrolment/fees, think about
the practicalities of this alongside all the other issues relating to
ELQ?

Mike Milne-Picken
University Centre Registrar
Bradford College
Tel 01274 433008

Email from Bradford College is subject to a disclaimer, the full
contents of which are available for viewing at the following link:
http://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer.htm