Dear all

Last year we performed a UFC extraction where after adding the urine sample to the dichloromethane and vortexing, the mixture became extremely viscous and after 7 minutes on a multi-vortexer, practically solid. The same thing has now happened on a second urine from this patient and even stranger, to a different patient’s sample on the same run.  Has anyone had similar experiences or even know of an explanation? I’ve trawled pubmed (and google) to no avail.

For background, the first patient has generalised proteinuria (P/Crn ratio >900 mg/mmol on sample in dec, multistix +++ on UFC sample) and glycosuria (++),  the second patient has + protein and –ve glucose. Our extraction uses 3mL cold dichloromethane & 600 uL borate-preserved urine.

Gareth

Gareth Llewelyn ap Huw Jones
Senior Clinical Biochemist

Dept. Clinical Biochemistry
Royal Free Hospital
London NW3 2QG

Tel: 020 7794 0500 ext 38856
Email:  [log in to unmask]
      or  [log in to unmask]

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/