Dear Peadar,

Another possibility, may be familial pseudohyperkalaemia.
I have seen a couple of patients who leak potassium more rapidly than normal
from their cells in serum or plasma samples at normal ambient temperature.
In one, comparing K levels in samples centrifuged at one hour intervals
after being taken, with my own taken at the same time at our laboratory, the
patient's K increased by approx 1.5 mmol/L at 6 hrs, whereas my K increased
by only approx 0.2 to 0.3 mmol/L. ( I am working from memory from some years
ago.)

This phenomenon was first described, I believe, by Stewart et al.
See  Stewart, G. W.; Corrall, R. J. M.; Fyffe, J. A.; Stockdill, G.; Strong,
J. A. :
Familial pseudohyperkalaemia: a new syndrome. Lancet II: 175-177, 1979.
and OMIM data at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=177720

Best wishes,

Keith.

Keith Wakelin