-----Original Message-----
From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of gordon challand
Sent: 08 January 2008 18:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ... more diagnostic procedures will be available in GP
surger ies

Dear Richard
I think that a major problem with all this is that there appears to be a
perception in the outside world that somehow introducing pre-symptomatic
screening increases the number of healthy individuals (and hence reduces the

health costs). The opposite is obviously true: any screening programme will
place some subjects previously thought to be healthy into an 'at-risk' or
'sick' category who will then cause health costs (apart from causing
individual concern, people who thought themselves healthy now find
themselves categorised as sick). This belief of health screening as a
'reduction in sick patients' or as an overall 'reduction in costs' has been
around for a long time including the original basis on which the NHS was
founded; I personally became aware of it when 'well-person screening' was
introduced as a DoH initiative in the late 1980s which simply led to a
massive increase in the number of patients found to have a 'high'
cholesterol and then placed on expensive statin treatment (and almost as
expensive continuing laboratory monitoring, none of which was funded).
At times I despair that anyone in the DoH will ever learn any lessons from
what has gone before (and I am unwilling to devise any audit programme for
the new developments suggested by one of the other Gordons!) .
However, with all best wishes for 2008
Gordon Challand