Aloha,

John Bishop wrote:
> I've done some preliminary research on witchcraft in Galicia in Northern
> Spain for a proposed Masters in Religious Studies, and I've fallen in love
> with the topic.
All in all, it's probably better do your work on something that you feel
passionate about,
rather than settle for for a topic that is defined by what can be done
within the limits
of the school/department.

> The problem I'm hitting is that there seems to be loads of materials out
> there on witch hunts/Inquisition/trials, but the Inquisition was rather
> quiet in Galicia.

Maybe the thing to look at is what was going on in Galicia, not what was
going on in
other parts of Spain, but not Galicia. And I suspect that you are going
to have to choose
a period of years and/or location.

> I'm most interested in the angle of comparative mythology...
Does a mythology exist in Galicia distinct from Catholicism? I know that
the Basques
have a mythology that is distinct. It appears to have influenced notions
of Basque
witchcraft. (And Neo-Pagan Craft.) Did something like this happen in
Galicia?

In addition to Kaballah, Galicia has supported a major pilgrimage center
and route
for centuries. Could it be, I wonder, that the bishops and
administrators of this
pilgrimage enterprise somehow held off the Inquistion? (I don't have
much interest
in the history of the Inquisition, but I get that the Church was/is an
intensely political
organization. And there appears to be contention between the Pope and
the Spanish
throne, too.)

In any case, good luck with your project! ;-p

Musing All Power To The World Thesis! Rose,

Pitch