Again, it’s not remotely Near-Eastern, but Rissa Russell gives standard postcranial measurements from a female wild boar from the Hungarian Agricultural Museum in her PhD (see below). Might be worth looking at if you can’t find anything closer to home. I’ve got the measurements in spreadsheet form so could send them on if you think they’d be useful (checking with Rissa first, of course).

David

N. Russell 1993. ‘Hunting, Herding and Feasting: human use of animals in Neolithic Southeast Europe’. PhD, UC Berkeley

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of anna russell
Sent: 07 December 2007 14:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Wild Boar standard measurements

I am just analysing a small Neolithic site in Syria and I'm looking for some 'standard' Near Eastern wild boar measurements to compare my pig remains to. As I only have a very small sample of measurements, I want to use the log ratio technique (Meadow 1981) to try to the determine the domestication status.
Does anyone know of a paper which gives any 'standard' postcranial measurements? If so I would be very grateful for a reference or even better a pdf file?
Many Thanks,
Anna Russell

PhD Researcher Archaeozoology

Tell Sabi Abyad Project

Faculty of Archaeology

Universiteit Leiden

P.O. Box 9515

2300RA Leiden

The Netherlands

Wessex Archaeology Ltd is a company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales, number 1712772.

A registered charity, number 287786, and is registered as an archaeological organisation with the Institute of Field Archaeologists.

Registered Office Portway House, Old Sarum Park, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP4 6EB.

This email is only for the use of the addressee. It may contain information which is legally privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or disseminate this email or any enclosures to anyone other than the addressee. If you receive this communication in error, please advise us by telephone immediately.