I think Jessica has named the main ones, but these other papers also look at issues of size, shape etc...

Morey, D. 1992. Size, shape and development in the evolution of the domestic dog. Journal of Archaeological Science 19: 181-204

Onar, V., Armutak, A., Belli, O. and Konyar, E. 2002. Skeletal remains of dogs unearthed from the Van-Yoncatepe Necropolises. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 12: 317-334

Walker, R.B., Morey, D.F. and Relethford, J.H. 2005. Early and Mid-Holocene dogs in South-eastern North America: Examples from Dust Cave. Southeastern Archaeology 24 (1): 83-92

Zedda, M., Manca, P., Chisu, V., Gadau, S., Lepore, G., Genovese, A., and Farina, V. 2006. Ancient Pompeiian Dogs - Morphological and morphometric evidence for different canine populations. Anatomia, Histologia, Embryologia: Journal of Veterinary Medicine Series C 35: 319-324

Stephanie Vann
PhD Candidate
School of Archaeology and Ancient History
University of Leicester

> Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:46:43 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Measurements for dogs
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hi Ylva,
>
> Since I do not know if you want references concerning modern dogs or archaeological ones, these might be of interest:
>
> The classic for transforming GLs into withers heights:
> Harcourt, R.A. (1974) 'The dog in prehistoric and early historic Britain' Journal of Archaeological Science 1: 151-175.
>
> Withers heights according to metapodial length:
> Kate M.Clark. The later prehistoric and protohistoric dog: the emergence of canine diversity. Archaeozoologia 7 (2):9-32, 1995.
>
> Archaeological dog types in general:
> Kate M.Clark. Dogged persistence: the phenomenon of canine skeletal uniformity in British prehistory. BAR International Series 889. S.J.Crockford. Anonymous. Dogs through time. An archaeological perspective.(889):163-169, 2000.
>
> More metapodials of modern material:
> Dirk Heinrich and Heinke Ratjen. Vergleichende Untersuchungen an den Metapodien von Füchsen und Hunden. Schriften aus der Archäologisch-Zoologischen Arbeitsgruppe Schleswig-Kiel. Anonymous. Anonymous. Kiel:(4):3-50, 1978. Abstract: The comparison of the metapodial bones of 49 dogs and 33 foxes proved the following results: The metapodial bones of dogs are wider relative to their length than those of foxes. The differences in the width in the metatarsal bones are more distinct than in the metacarpal bones. The greatest differences were obtained by correlating the largest width of the distal epiphyse with the largest length of the bone. Thus, foxes and dogs can be distinguished by a comparison of the correlation of the largest width of the distal epiphyse to the largest length in the metatarsal bones III and IV. There are no significant differences in proportions, which could be caused by allometrical reasons. The metatarsal bones of male foxes are on average significantly larger than those of female foxes.
>
> The "Berichte" of the excavations at Hedeby and Schleswig have several volumes dedicated to dogs.
>
> For a metric archive of British material, please visit the ABMAP website: http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/specColl/abmap/
>
> Best wishes, Jessica Grimm

> Jessica Grimm MA AIFA
> Zooarchaeologist
>
> Wessex Archaeology Ltd
> Portway House, Old Sarum Park, Salisbury, Wilts. SP4 6EB
> Tel No:- +44 (0)1722 326867
> Fax No:- +44 (0)1722 337562
> Website: www.wessexarch.co.uk
> P Before printing, think about the environment

She said what? About who? Shameful celebrity quotes on Search Star!