You may be interested in the concept of intermittent bus lanes (IBL),
recently tested in Lisbon:

http://pubsindex.trb.org/document/view/default.asp?lbid=802041

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VGJ-4D5X9KY-1
&_user=65461&_coverDate=12%2F01%2F2004&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=
d&view=c&_acct=C000005458&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=65461&md5=4f3
586af98ceee505ddbadec88e272ac

Here at ITS Leeds Ronghui Liu has also been working on some public
transport enhancements to the DRACULA microsimulation software which
allow for improved simulation of bus operations.

Pedro Abrantes
Lecturer in Public Transport
Institute for Transport Studies
University of Leeds