*** an announcement from The Association for Survey Computing.
*** Apologies for any cross-postings

HAVE WE LOST TOUCH WITH REALITY? RE-ENGAGING WITH THE RESPONDENT

Imperial College, London. Friday 25th April 2008

The ASC is holding a one-day conference in London, UK on the topic of
respondent engagement. There are many concerns within the survey
research industry regarding the availability and willingness of
respondents to participate in survey research. The incredible growth in
web surveys and the resulting use of internet panels has raised
questions about the validity of such research:

* Are we creating professional respondents, and should we be worried?
* How will respondents look in the future, what shall we call them?
* How do we know respondents are engaged and giving us their full
attentions?
* How can we get inside the respondent's mind - what makes them tick?
* Is there a problem with fraudsters, speedsters and cheaters, and can
we eliminate them?
* Is multiple panel membership a problem?
* Have we reached the peak in respondent co-operation and is panel
membership now in decline? Can we halt or reverse this?
* Are panels the future? What alternatives are there?
* How can we balance pressures to reduce price with the need for a base
level of reliability for results?
* Is the 'form on screen' model too boring for today's web users, and
what can we do about it? Can the survey instrument be more engaging
without affecting the responses?
* What communication techniques are being used to maximise the
engagement and motivation of respondents
* How can we convince respondents to spend some of their limited time
completing our surveys?

In short, is there a danger that survey research may no longer represent
the reality it claims to?

Further details about submitting a proposal, can be found on the ASC web
site at:

http://www.asc.org.uk/conference

Please reply to:

	Christine Jenkins, Administrator ([log in to unmask])
	ASC, PO Box 76, Berkeley, GL13 9WU, UK
	http://www.asc.org.uk

This message has been sent on behalf the ASC by:

	Randy Banks ([log in to unmask])
	Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER)
	University of Essex, Colchester, UK CO4 3SQ