Yes, I too am very interested in this topic and would love to hear more about it.
best wishes,
Martha W. Driver
Pace University, New York > Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:29:31 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: REMINDER: IES Symposium: Teaching the history of the book to undergraduates (UK)> To: [log in to unmask]> > I wonder if anyone who attended the one-day symposium on teaching > book history to undergraduates might report to the list (or, if I > alone am interested in it, just to me) about it? I very much wish I > had been able to attend, but the timing and the cost of flying to the > UK prevented me.> > Thanks in advance,> > Erick Kelemen> > On Tuesday, 27 November, 2007, at 3:45 PM , Wim Van Mierlo wrote:> > > A friendly reminder to SHARP-ists about this forthcoming event (and > > the> > related survey) - details below.> >> > There are a few free spaces available for undergraduate (or recently> > graduated) students who would be willing to participate in the student> > roundtable; if you have a student who has encountered book history > > in their> > studies and who might be interested in attending, please let me > > know as soon> > as possible.> >> > Many thanks,> >> > Ian Gadd> > ------------------------> >> > [Please cross-post]> >> > ONE-DAY SYMPOSIUM:> > Teaching the history of the book to undergraduates> >> > Saturday 8 December 2007> > Institute of English Studies, London> >> > Organisers: Dr Ian Gadd, Dr Aileen Fyfe, Dr John Hinks, Dr Cathy > > Shrank and> > Professor Simon Eliot> >> > History of the book, long the preserve of the graduate seminar, is > > beginning> > to find its way into the undergraduate curriculum, as tutors find > > that the> > questions history of the book raises, the methodologies it uses, > > and the> > perspectives it provides are increasingly useful to their students. > > Yet, how> > can something so interdisciplinary < that is taught in departments of> > history, English, media studies, publishing and elsewhere < and so > > material> > < that needs access to books and archives < make its way > > successfully into> > the undergraduate classroom? What disciplinary, institutional, > > pedagogical,> > and intellectual problems does it encounter? And what are the possible> > implications for history of the book as a field or mode of enquiry?> >> > This one-day symposium, the first of its kind in the UK, brings > > together> > scholars from a variety of disciplines and universities, research> > librarians, and undergraduate students to debate these questions > > and to> > share experiences and good practice. We hope that it will be of > > interest to> > anyone involved in, or thinking about becoming involved in, > > teaching the> > history of the book.> >> > The conference programme and registration form is available at> > http://ies.sas.ac.uk/events/conferences/2007/BookHist/index.htm> >> > Registration is £30 (£20 concessions) and covers refreshments, but not> > lunch.> >> > On the website, there is also information about a survey of Book > > History> > teaching in the UK and Ireland. We've already received a good > > number of> > responses, but we would welcome more!