Dear colleagues,

Please find attached a call to contribute or participate to the conference “Withstanding Influence: Academic Independence and its Discontents” that will take place in Rouen (app. one hour from Paris) on Thursday 27 and Friday 28, March 2008.

We feel that debate on this theme is overdue and we are open to a range of contributions, from scholarly papers to broader conclusions that can be drawn from relevant experiences in the process of knowledge production and publication. All disciplines are of course concerned, in the 'natural' sciences and in the social sciences and the humanities.We would be obliged if you could widely circulate this call to colleagues who might be interested.

Please see below for practical details regarding the conference.

With kind regards,

Michalis Lianos

_________________________

Professor

Innovation and Society Research Centre

Groupe de Recherche Innovations et Sociétés (GRIS)

Department of Sociology

University of Rouen

We would be glad to receive your interest for this conference as soon as possible. Please contact Gyöngyvér Demény ( [log in to unmask] ) at the Conference Secretariat. For academic issues, please contact me directly. Participation is free if it is not funded by an institution. In all other cases, the participation fee is 90 €.

The main working language of the conference is English with simultaneous interpretation from and into French. We can arrange accommodation and meals.

Information on Rouen

As a historic city and the capital of Normandy, Rouen offers an excellent range of hotels (including castles in the region) at a relatively affordable rate ( http://www.rouentourisme.com/default.asp?ext=en&file=306 ); you can book via the usual web sites. For particularly affordable accommodation at the City Centre, we have negotiated special rates here http://www.h-europe.fr/ ; if you come with your family, we recommend http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhotels/fichehotel/gb/sui/6342/fiche_hotel.shtml , where we have also been negotiating reduced rates. All information on things to do and see as a visitor in Rouen can be found at http://www.rouentourisme.com/default.asp?ext=en .