Dear Dr. Henson,
     We are reading the SPM archives and find that you have answered some questions about covarying out RT as in the email attached at the very end. We have three questions and would really hope you can kindly give us some hint. Please bear with me since I need to make an example to be sure things are clear. Sorry to write so long.
      Suppose we have two conditions A and B and let us suppose A occurs at time 10 20 30 and the RTs are 1 sec 2 sec 3 sec each; B occurs at time 40 50 60 and the RTs are 4 sec 5 sec 6 sec each.
       Following your suggestion, to covary out common RT, we first key in a regressor of task (A+B) with onset time (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60) and duration (1,2,3,4,5,6), then incorporate two modulations for this regressor. The first one is RT and we key in (1,2,3,4,5,6) and the second one is a categorical modulation and we key in, say (2,2,2, 1,1,1).
       Now our questions are
(1) Is it true that SPM will remove the mean of these modulations? That is, the RT modulation (1,2,3,4,5,6) has the mean of (1+2+3+4+5+6)/6=3.5 so in fact, the RT regressor in the design matrix will be (-2.5,-1.5,-0.5,0.5,1.5,2.5) and the categorical modulation has the mean of (2+2+2+1+1+1)/6=1.5, so the categorical regressor in the design matrix will be (0.5,0.5,0.5,-0.5,-0.5,-0.5)? Since we are basically running a linear model of

   signal=beta1*[task]+beta2*[RT]+beta3[category],

then is it true beta1 gives us the area which has on average 3.5 sec RT and is more activated in task than in the baseline? Our reasoning is that if RT has an effect and if mean is indeed removed by SPM, then whether the mean RT effect is incorporated into beta1? If that is the case, is there any choice in SPM that we can do to shut off this mean removal so that we can have a pure task effect and a pure RT effect (so that the average RT effect won't get incorporated into beta1)?

(2) Related to question (1), does the order of keying in modulations matter? Since there are RT and categorical modulations, suppose instead we key in the categorical modulation first and then the RT modulation, would we get the same result as in (1) where RT is modulated first and then category is modulated the next? We are curious about what exactly you mean by "the resulting regressor is orthogonal to that for the condition effect itself," and worry whether orders will matter as far as orthogonality is concerned.

(3) In fact, in our experiment there are scores on how well a subject has done A and scores on how well a subject has done B. And we would like to see whether when a subject has a higher score on A may have different brain activations than when he has a lower score on A. It seems that in the model above, we cannot feed in the score in any way since only A-B or B-A can be tested. So if we want to covary out common RT, but still we want to know for only A, having a higher score would bring in different brain activations, could you please give us some hint on how to build a model? We thought about running

   (#) signal=beta1*[A]+beta2*[RT_A]+beta3[score_A]+beta4*[B]+beta5*[RT_B]+beta6[score_B]

(that is, we feed in a regressor for A, another for B, and each regressor is modulated by its RT and its score respectively), but this will have the problem that you mentioned below that only covarying out RT within conditions, not across conditions. We thought if we can shut off the mean-corrected function of SPM, then running (#) would look perfectly fine, but if we cannot, then (#) has the problem of not covarying out common RT across A and B.

 Thank you so much for answering these questions. We simply cannot find answers anywhere and greatly greatly appreciate your help.

Best,
Nissen

Andreas -

> I would like to covary out reaction time in one of my experiments (using
> SPM99). The experiment contained two conditions (and not explicitly
> modelled null events as a baseline condition). I entered the reaction
> times as a parametric modulation of each trial.
>
> Intuitively, I thought that e.g. the contrast [1 0 -1 0] identifies
> brain regions differentially activated by the two tasks (having covaried
> out common RT effects), and that e.g. the contrast [0 1 0 1] identifies
> the main effect of reaction time.
>
> In one of your recent e-mails I found the following:
>
> "(...) The slight complication comes if you have more than one
> trial-type. You could enter a separate parametric modulation of each
> trial-type by the RTs for that trial-type, but that will only covary out
> trial-specific RT effects. You probably want to covary out common RT
> effects. The way to do this is to collapse all your trials into one
> trial-type, then enter two parametric modulations. One modulation would
> be RTs, as above. The other would be a "categorical" modulation that
> indicates whether each trial is of type1 or type2. A contrast of [1] on
> the column for this "categorical" modulation will identify regions that
> show a difference between your trial-types, having covaried out common
> RT effects (...)"
>
> Is there something wrong with the way I have built my design matrix?

Your design matrix will "covary out" RT differences across trials
WITHIN an condition. However, it will not covary out RT differences
BETWEEN conditions. This is because the parametric modulations (RTs
in your case) are always mean-corrected (so the resulting regressor is
orthogonal to that for the condition effect itself). Thus any difference
in mean RT between your two conditions will not be "covaried out", and
could possibly* still contribute to any BOLD differences you find
between your two conditions (in your [1 0 -1 0] contrast). If you want
to covary out RTs that differ across conditions, you need to create the
alternative design matrix that I described above.

*Or alternatively, you may want to ask: "why am I covarying out RTs
if they are simply another consequence of the same underlying cause
that generates my BOLD differences?", ie are they really a "confound"
or simply another correlated dependent variable?...

Rik

DR RICHARD HENSON
Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
& Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience
University College London
17 Queen Square
London, WC1N 3AR
England