I would like to know if some of you had a similar problem or dilemma.

I am computing a correlation map out of a linear model at each voxel.
I always thought smoothing images first and getting correlation map
is a more or less correct procedure. However, my student computed
the correlation out of unsmoothed images and smoothed correlation map later.
The smoothed correlation map looks better !
I thought about this a while and I have to conclude that smoothing correlation
map is not a bad idea actually.

Smoothing is a process of degrading information. So the question is
where to degrade information. Do we want to degrade information in the
original image
or correlation. If we compute correlation out of smoothed images, it
is like computing
correlation out of something that is already degraded. So smoothing
correlation seems
to make more sense. But then you worry about random field theory assumptions
if you are a random field guy. :)

Moo.

--
Moo Chung