Dear Network members,

Greetings.

In February of this year, I wrote inviting you to be involved in the work of revision of the IFSW Policy Statement on Health.  You will recall that, on behalf of SWHIN, Paul Bywaters and I accepted the invitation of IFSW to lead the work of revision, with a Statement ready for presentation to the 2008 meeting of IFSW in Brazil.  Sincere thanks to those of you who contributed to the first round of consultation.

I attach the draft that Paul and I have produced.  The process now is:

The paper is to be circulated to all National Member Organisations of IFSW, in English, French and Spanish; and to IASSW and ICSW, for comment.

We are asking to receive comments from Organisations by end February, and will then finalise the Statement on behalf of SWHIN.

We ask you to send your individual comments, as members of SWHIN, following the guidance below, by January 31st. 2008.  It will be really helpful to receive your comments by then, as we plan to do some further work on it in the month of February.

Draft Revised IFSW Policy Statement on Health

Consultation

The guidance for new IFSW Policy Statements requires a particular structure:

Issues – 2 pages maximum

Background - 4 pages maximum

Policies - 2 pages maximum

We have followed the structure but at present the draft exceeds the word limits.

Please could you address the following questions.

  1. Does the Draft meet the IFSW guidance that a policy statement is:
  • A declaration
  • Durable
  • Relevant to the breadth of the profession
  • Specifically relevant to the profession

and is not

  • An implementation plan
  • A practice guide
  • A call for specific action or resources.

  1. Can you identify specific policies, statements or lines of argument in the Draft that you disagree with? Be precise and suggest alternatives.

  1. Bearing in mind the limits set, can you identify specific gaps or omissions in the statement? Be precise and suggest a form of words for inclusion.

  1. Given that the Draft is currently too long, can you suggest specific ways in which the Draft can be cut, for example, unnecessary, overlapping or duplicated material?

  1. Can you provide any specific examples, particularly from practice, which would bring to life the issues raised in the document or help to make clear the social work relevance?

Very best wishes,

Lindsey.

Lindsey Napier                             Paul Bywaters

University of Sydney                    Coventry University

[[log in to unmask]]       [[log in to unmask]]

Lindsey Napier PhD

ProDean (Staffing)

Faculty of Education and Social Work

University of Sydney