The British Sociological Association Theory Study Group is organising a re-launch conference to be held at the Birkbeck Institute of Social Research 3-4, July 2008. The conference, '1968: Impact and Implications', is timed to coincide with the fortieth anniversary of the tumultuous events of 1968 and seeks to assess the impact of those events academically and globally. Our line-up of internationally renowned keynote speakers is complemented by a very strong field of submitted papers from the UK and globally and we are confident that the event will be very high profile and well attended.

Our keynote speakers are high-profile academics in their own right and strongly associated - both in their academic work and their political projects - with the changes brought forth by the events of 1968. From the UK, we have

And, from the United States, Distinguished University Professor, Patricia Hill Collins, from the Department of Sociology at the University of Maryland has agreed to present a keynote address at the conference. Professor Collins has also just been elected the 100th President of the American Sociological Association.

Professor Sue Scott, the current President of the British Sociological Association will be introducing Professor Collins' talk and other senior academics within the sociological community - such as Professor John Scott, University of Essex and Professor John Holmwood, University of Birmingham - have also expressed their support and enthusiasm for this conference.

Booking Form and further details are available to download from the Study Groups webpage, see:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/sociology/staff/academicstaff/bhambra/gurminderkbhambra/research/bsatheorygroup/
The earlybird booking deadline to save £20.00 is the 28th February 2008.

If you require any further information please contact either Debbie Brown at the BSA office or Dr Gurminder K. Bhambra, convenor of the BSA Theory Study Group.

Best wishes,

Debbie Brown
BSA Membership Secretary

Gurminder K. Bhambra
Convenor of the BSA Theory Study Group
Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology
University of Warwick

Deborah Brown
BSA, Membership Secretary

British Sociological Association
Bailey Suite, Palatine House
Belmont Business Park
Belmont, DURHAM, DH1 1TW

Tel: 0191-383-0839
Fax: 0191-383-0782

The British Sociological Association is a Company Limited by Guarantee. (Company Number: 3890729), registered in England and Wales.

Registered Charity Number: 1080235

Registered Office:
Bailey Suite, Palatine House, Belmont Business Park, Belmont, Durham,
DH1 1TW, United Kingdom.

Tel: +44 (0) 191-383-0839; Fax +44 (0) 191-383-0782.
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.britsoc.co.uk

The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.

Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY - www.maildefender.net