Message
Also, I can add that at the exhibition on Shackleton at the Museum of Natural History in New York a few years ago, there was exhibited a copy of the first English separate edition of the poem "If-" printed in July 1914 by Methuen in 5000 copies, and reprinted frequently thereafter (see my draft bibliography item A269, or Stewart bibliography 343), which Shackleton apparently carried with him and had pinned to the wall within his quarters.

Dave Richards
-----Original Message-----
From: To exchange information and views on the life and work of Rudyard Kipling [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Page
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:22 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Kipling and the Antarctic

Dear Dr Cowan

I have found only one passing mention of Scott in A Book of Words. The speech that Kipling made on "Some Aspects of Travel" to the Royal Geographical Society on 17 Februay 1914 contains the following phrase in the last paragraph:

"There will arise—they are shaping themselves even now—risks to be met as cruel as any that Hudson or Scott faced; dreams as world-wide as Columbus or Cecil Rhodes dreamed, to be made good or to die for;"

There is nothing that I can see mentioning Shackleton or the Antarctic.

In the back numbers of the Journal there is of course your own March 1985 Letter to the Editor, and the article by Mrs T. Schreiber in the September 2003 issue on "Shackleton and Kipling". I think that the interest in the Shackleton / Kipling relationship flowed from the explorer to the writer rather than vice versa.
There is a  pastiche of "If—" in the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, which was handwritten by Shackleton on a piece of cardboard at Madeira in 1921 and signed by (some) of his officers on the Quest expedition together with other acquaintances.

Yours sincerely

David Page