Edgar

I am responding as the leader of the MoReq and MoReq2 teams.

You are right about what MoReq says.  More relevant today, I think, is what MoReq2 will say.  As you may know, MoReq2 will be published early in 2008.  It contains many enhancements to the original MoReq.

Both MoReq and MoReq2 are underpinned by the concept that there is only one version of any record (I think that PRO 02 uses the same concept, but I haven't checked) .  That's a theoretical point.  I appreciate that in the real world many people think in terms of versions of a record.  What remains possible, with any of these models, is to relate different records together - and that is what I think you currently do.

I don't fully understand your statement that "All the approved versions sit nicely as one object".  I am not sure what this means in either IT terms or in records management.  You have, for one document (say) 30 "approved versions", each of which is equivalent (as you say) to one record.  So you have 30 records.  This is not really "one object" in IT terms, (well it could be, but it would be risky and complicated); and it certainly is not a single record (it is 30 separate records, each with its own metadata describing its dates, authorship and so on); but it would make sense to file all 30 together in one place (in the same file or whatever).

All drafts of MoReq2 have been posted on the project website (www.moreq2.eu, panellists page).  The current draft is close to final in many areas; in particular the section dealing with document management (10.3) is stable.  Here are the four draft requirements that, together, come closest to addressing your concern:

3418

Where there are multiple versions of a document the ERMS must be able to capture the document as a record in all of the following ways, with one being selected as default at configuration time and the user being able to select one during capture:

·        the most recent version;

·        one version that is specified by the user;

·        all versions stored, held as a single record;

·        all versions stored, held as separate but linked records.

3700

The ERMS must allow document version storage to be configurable by an administrative role, at configuration time or later, at class and file level within the classification scheme, with at least the following default options for each class and file:

·        all versions of all documents are stored in the class or file;

·        only the most recent version (where an administrative role has the ability to specify major or minor versions) of each document is stored in the class or file;

·        a number of versions of each document are stored in the class or file, the number being specified by an administrative role.

2380

The ERMS must be capable of version control, that is managing different versions of an electronic document as a single entity.

2379

The ERMS should be able to restrict users to viewing:

·        only the latest version of a document;

·        selected versions of a document;

·        all versions of a document;

·        versions that have been captured or registered as records,

the choice to be made at configuration or a later time by an administrative role.

MoReq2 will also support a new concept, namely "sub-files"; you could, if you want, use a sub-files to partition a file so that all versions and records associated with one document appear together.

I am not sure that this fully addresses your concern.  We might be able to enhance this by an explicit requirement to allow users to relate document versions and records, but I cannot promise that as it needs careful thought and we are perilously close to freezing the content.  Let me know (quickly!) if you have any comment.

Out of curiosity, in what sector/industry/business are you working?

Marc Fresko
EDM & ERM Consulting Services Director
Serco Consulting
New London Bridge House
25 London Bridge Street
London SE1 9SG
United Kingdom

T +44 (0) 207 089 4650
F +44 (0) 207403 0834
M +44 (0) 7767 325 630

www.serco.com/consulting

This e-mail and any attachments are for the intended addressee(s) only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not a named addressee, do not use, retain or disclose such information.
This email is not guaranteed to be free from viruses and does not bind Serco in any contract or obligation.
Serco Limited. Registered in England and Wales. No: 242246
Registered Office: Serco House,16 Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, Hampshire RG27 9UY United Kingdom.