Hi Marc - I really appreciate your quick responses.  I believe that you may be endorcing the approach that I have (you may think how !!!!)

The folder structure (you mentioned MoReq doesn't recognise) I am happy with that - we however would use a folder structure to create different types of information structures
- class related structure (what the Records Managers like)
- a subject based structure (what is quite typical in organisations) i.e. people
- a case based / project based structure
We would store our 'RM folders' at the top level within these structures.  Beneath these then Subfiles / Volumes etc. So far I am happy...... These would be in an EDMS.

We would have a ERMS with our MoReq functionality typically containing the levels Class / Class / Class .  The RM folder (in the folder structure) would be registered against a class to create Class / Class / Class / RM folder / SubFile / Volume. However the RM folder would actually be the RM folder within the folder structure.

This RM folder could be navigated to through the ERMS and the EDMS.  For the user, the properties of the RM folder / Subfolder / Volume would be identicle i.e. permissions / open / closed.  The RM folder would receive it's lifecycle through the class.

The advantage of this approach is that the ERMS would be totally class/class/class based.  The EDMS would be where the flexibility is built in - we could have a case file / project with many different series of information -  The series however would be registered in different classes in the ERMS.

Ant thoughts

Edgar