Now that I think about it, the same formulation by which I characterized
Thomas Hardy (“modern but perhaps not modernist”) may suit Donald Davie and
explain in part why he was so drawn to Hardy.  Davie certainly dealt with
modernist and post-modernist figures on a regular basis, but The Movement
was his movement.  Though he recommended Charles Tomlinson more often than
Philip Larkin, at least as I observed him.

Barry Alpert

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:52:45 +0000, Barry Alpert <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I believe that Davie was the first to call to my attention Pound’s
>statement to the effect that Hardy’s poems show the benefit of having
>written many novels.  In that course on Modern British Poetry, Davie
>offered a reading of “Poems of 1912-13” which startled and impressed me,
>and which eventually became the centerpiece of his book “Thomas Hardy and
>British Poetry”.   Pound had also written the following about Hardy
>in “Guide To Kulchur”:
>
>“No man can read Hardy’s poems collected but that his own life, and
>forgotten moments of it, will come back to him, a flash here and an hour
>there.  Have you a better test of true poetry?”
>
>Though I had been taught Hardy’s poetry in both classes on Victorian and
>Modern British and American Poetry at Washington University in St. Louis,
>Donald Davie and Ezra Pound convinced me he was a modern (though perhaps
>not modernist) poet.
>

>Barry Alpert
>

>On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:18:50 +0000, Roger Day <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Considering my epic memory, I'd take nothing I recall for granted ...
>>I've come to the conclusion that my brain takes in facts, swirls them
>>around a bit with scattershot prejudices then regurgitates them in a
>>random order.
>>
>>I recommend the Davie book to anyone interested in Hardy.
>>
>>Roger
>>
>>On Dec 21, 2007 1:08 AM, Barry Alpert <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> Right at the beginning of my graduate studies, I witnessed Donald
Davie's
>>> transition from second-in-command at the University of Essex to Yvor
>>> Winters' successor at Stanford University.  He liked to put it thus, "I
>>> replaced Yvor Winters and Robert Lowell replaced me."  I never heard
that
>>> he had lost his position at Essex, but he did mention that he had had to
>>> ask his graduate student Tom Clark (who had been highly recommended to
>him
>>> by Donald Hall) to leave because of reasons I'll let you imagine.  I was
>>> lucky enough to attend the first course Davie gave at Stanford, Modern
>>> British Poetry, which covered, as I remember, Thomas Hardy, Gerard
Manley
>>> Hopkins, W.B. Yeats, T.S. Eliot, and Ezra Pound.  Two of the so-called
>>> Stanford Five (the last generation of poets to study directly with Yvor
>>> Winters) sat in on that class, John Peck and Robert Hass, though Peck
>made
>>> such a strong impression that I remain a bit uncertain whether Hass was
>>> indeed present.  Perhaps Robert Archambeau's forthcoming study from the
>>> University of Notre Dame Press, "Laureates and Heretics", will set the
>>> record straight about John Peck, John Matthias, James McMichael, Robert
>>> Hass, and Robert Pinsky.
>>>
>>> The failing AOL software on my computer already "disappeared" my first
>>> version of this post, so before treating the complex issue of Donald
>>> Davie's relationship to modernism, I need a break.
>>>

>>> Barry Alpert

>British

>Alpert

>seemed